Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Beginning

It's 2010. I am 30 years old this year. So far, I have not published a Nobel prize winning tome, nor have I achieved CEO status, or figured out how the CERN collider thingy works (besides the possibility that it could suck us all into a black hole...or something). So really, it's time I get a move on.


A few months ago, I heard that a friend had decided to climb the highest peak in Africa - Mount Kilimanjaro. At 5895 metres (19000 feet approximately), it's the highest free standing mountain in the world.


Yes! There's my challenge right there, I thought. And even better, it's for charity - the Marie Keating Foundation. One way to get over being over the hill is going over another one - isn't that how the saying goes?


My husband has been roped in, without any protest as he's a Bear Grylls wannabe (I just wanna be with Bear Grylls), so the two of us plus our friend and her sister are planing the trip of a lifetime in October.


I thought I'd start this blog in case anyone out there is interested to hear how four complete hiking beginners (and, in my case, a severe exercise-phobic) are training, what equipment we need and from where...we've been really lucky finding loads of useful info and are loving the outdoorsy pursuits here in Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment